Employment: Full-time (40+ hours/week) | Department: Communications | Supervisor: Creative Director | Supervises: None | FLSA status: Exempt
The Content Editor crafts content for digital and print media that connects the Brethren in Christ U.S. (BIC U.S.) family. Along with a strong faith, the editor must hold quality and creativity in highest regard as he or she connects and resources BIC U.S. constituents through written communication.
The Content Editor must be user-focused, maintaining a strong sense of audience and an ability to tailor content for different media outlets. The editor must also have a pulse on current cultural, social, and Church-wide matters, with the ability to shape relevant content accordingly.
The Content Editor is a ministry position within the Shared Services department of the Brethren in Christ U.S. The position reports to the Director of Shared Services and will be an integral contributor to, as well as member of, the Shared Services leadership team participating in cross-functional strategic projects for BIC U.S.
Qualifications & Competencies
- A vital and maturing relationship with Jesus Christ and a heart for the Brethren in Christ U.S.
- An understanding and acceptance of the BIC U.S. core values
- A general understanding of Christian theology
- A bachelor’s degree in communications or a related field
- Experience in crafting high-quality content across a variety of media
- Excellence in written communication
- Ability to refine raw content in shaping a clear and focused message
- Communication proficiency – Good understanding of disciplines under the umbrella of “Communications” (graphic design, public relations, marketing, journalism, etc.)
- Technical capacity – A high proficiency in, and strong understanding of, publishing for digital media (blogs, social media, etc.), and Outlook, email, MS Office Suite
- Administrative skills – Effective in administration, project management, and organizational skills
- Personal credibility – Ability to maintain the highest level of integrity and confidentiality
- Personal effectiveness – Self-motivated and able to work independently and unsupervised
- Spanish language skills preferred but not required
- Time management – Able to organize and administrate simultaneous projects
- Strategize and develop content to inform, connect, and resource intended audiences across a variety of formats and mediums, including websites, blogs, social media networks, annual reports, appeal letters, video scripts, etc.
- Work with BIC pastors, leaders, and missionaries to collect, write, edit, and publish stories and interviews
- Write and edit newsletters, news releases, reports, and letters on behalf of BIC U.S. departments and Directors
- Promote and steward BIC U.S. identity, maintaining relevancy and continuity of messaging
- Ensure quality standards of communication, including use of consistent editorial-style guidelines
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential responsibilities.
Physical Demands of the Work Environment
This job operates in a church office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The role of the Content Editor may occasionally also involve travel and require the visual acuity to operate motor vehicles.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of the job, the Content Editor is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands; handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop; talk and hear. Employee may be requested to lift and carry up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision (such as needed in viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading), distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This is a full-time position. The expected days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with an hour for lunch. Please note that this job description is flexible in terms of emphasis and particular assignments. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Annual performance appraisal
- Attainment of annual goals established between supervisor and employee
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples to email@example.com.