The Harrisburg Brethren in Christ Church is seeking a part-time Office Administrative Assistant (24 hours per week).
As a member of the church staff, the person serving in this position will be responsible for providing administrative and clerical support for the staff and congregation.
We are seeking a staff team member who has good organizational and clerical skills and who will relate well with people from the congregation and from the community. The ideal candidate will have related work experience and experience in multi-ethnic settings.
Situated within the City of Harrisburg, we are an intentionally multi-ethnic and intergenerational congregation seeking to fulfill the church’s vision: to be a thriving diverse urban church sharing Christ’s love and serving the needs of our local and global communities. Our church is committed to congregational and community life that embraces the theology and Core Values of the Brethren in Christ, and we affirm our denomination’s long-standing biblical understanding of ministry and servant leadership. Visit our HBIC website to learn more about our congregation and our staff.
The Office Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and clerical support in carrying out the operational responsibilities of the Harrisburg BIC Church Office, maintaining confidentiality of relationships and records.
- Testifies to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and exemplifies a life of servanthood
- Commitment to multi-ethnic, urban ministry. Previous cross-cultural experience preferred
- A minimum of two years of experience in an administrative assistant position or office setting
- Knowledge of information technology and ability to use and maintain office equipment
- Strong clerical skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, desktop publishing, and related programs; database (Servant Keeper) and email service (Constant Contact) skills are a plus
- Effective communication skills, including verbal, written, and editorial; proficiency in English, Spanish fluency is a plus
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multi-task and to handle/prioritize requests from multiple sources
- Ability to be creative
- A commitment to teamwork
- A caring attitude, integrity, and confidentiality
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to be flexible and exhibit a good sense of humor
- Willingness to affirm the vision and values of the Harrisburg Brethren In Christ Church
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as receptionist, handling incoming calls and visitors to the church and responding compassionately and effectively to needs
- Provide clerical and administrative support to the pastoral staff
- Manage the church office email
- Process the postal mail and package deliveries
- Organize and maintain the various informational areas of the church
- Manage the records for Sunday attendance, membership, baptisms, and the like
- Produce weekly church handouts, registration sheets, and the like
- Assist the pastoral staff with promotional pieces as needed
- Assist with church visitor follow-up information
- Manage the preparation of monthly Church Board and Annual Council meeting agenda packets
- Maintain minutes, reports, and official church records
- Maintain current information in the church database (Servant Keeper)
- Produce periodic church directories
- Maintain and order office and ministry related supplies as needed
- Oversee the office equipment (copier, phones, and the like)
- Assist with maintaining church calendars (activity and facility) as needed
- Duplicate and distribute worship service CDs as requested
- Other duties as assigned
Schedule & Hours
Tuesday through Friday, 9am to 3 pm (24 hours/week)
How to Apply
In order to apply, please submit the following in one of three ways – electronically (email@example.com), by mail (2217 Derry St, Harrisburg, PA 17104), or in-person:
- A cover letter describing your interest in this position
- A resume detailing your professional experience
- The HBIC Employment Application
- Two professional references and one personal reference
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of pre-employment screening: Child Abuse History Clearance, PA Criminal History Check, and an FBI Criminal Background Check.
Contact Lynda Gephart, Pastor of Congregational Life at (717) 561-2170 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.