The Harrisburg Brethren in Christ Church is seeking a part-time Pastor of Discipleship Ministries (25 hours per week). Situated within the City of Harrisburg, we are an intentionally multi-ethnic and intergenerational congregation. As a member of the pastoral staff, the person serving in this position will be responsible for discipleship ministries for adults and will work with the Senior Pastor, staff, and congregation to fulfill the church’s vision: to be a thriving diverse urban church sharing Christ’s love and serving the needs of our local and global communities.
Our church is committed to congregational and community life that embraces the theology and Core Values of the Brethren in Christ, and we affirm our denomination’s long-standing biblical understanding of ministry and servant leadership. Visit our HBIC website to learn more about our congregation and our staff.
We are seeking a pastoral team member who has a passion for discipleship. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching and leading adult ministries, multi-ethnic experience, and a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Testify to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and evidence God’s anointing for ministry
- A stable, mature, and growing Christian that models a life of growing Christian character, integrity, maturity, and servanthood
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Prior experience and/or proven gifts in teaching, counseling, and leadership
- A visionary leader with evidenced commitment to multicultural, urban ministry; cross cultural experience preferred
- A commitment to teamwork
- Ability to be flexible, creative, and a good sense of humor
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Professional and related program
- A Bachelor’s degree preferred with a commitment to continued education and licensing with the Brethren in Christ denomination
- Commitment to uphold the doctrinal position of the Brethren In Christ U.S. denomination
This individual is responsible for developing and overseeing adult discipleship ministries. In cooperation with the Senior Pastor, they are responsible for the overall vision implementation and the life and growth of the congregation, including preaching, teaching, and the spiritual health of people.
- Responsible for the Adult Discipleship Ministry Team
- With the Adult Discipleship Ministry Team, coordinate Sunday morning classes, Wednesday evening classes, and Life Groups
- Evaluate, create, and implement discipling ministries as needed
- Participate in mentoring
- Equip others to use their ministry gifts in the church and in the world
- In cooperation with the Pastoral Staff and ministry teams, implement the congregational vision through the development of goals and a plan to meet the goals
- Provide leadership in church life that is reflective of the rich ethnic and cultural diversity in our congregation.
- Oversee the budget management for the Adult Discipleship Ministry Team
- Provide for training and development of selected ministry teams
- Assist the Pastor of Worship and Communication with the communication needs of the church’s ministries under your supervision
- If selected, serve as a voting member of Church Board
Preaching and Teaching
- Preach and teach as called upon
- Uphold the doctrinal position of the Brethren in Christ denomination
- Participate in the provision of counseling and pastoral care to the congregation
- Administer communion and officiate special events such as baptisms, parent/child dedications, weddings and funerals as called upon
- Assist in providing membership classes as called upon
- Represent the church at General Assembly and other denominational meetings
- Engage in other ministries outside our church that impact both our church and the greater Harrisburg community
How to Apply
Submit the following electronically (email@example.com), by mail (2217 Derry St, Harrisburg, PA 17104), or in-person.
- Cover Letter, including a description of the following:
- Your faith journey
- Your ministry philosophy
- Your multi-ethnic experience
- Resume, detailing your professional experience
- A completed BIC “This I Believe” Response Form
- Contact information for three (3) references, to include two professional references and one personal reference.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of pre-employment screening: Child Abuse History Clearance, PA Criminal History Check, and an FBI Criminal Background Check.
Contact Hank Johnson, Sr. Pastor, at (717) 561-2170 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.