As followers of Jesus, we strive to live generously.
Our desire is to see lives transformed by Christ. Through the generosity of BIC congregations and individuals, we’re able to support transformative ministries across the BIC.
The Brethren in Christ U.S. receives funding three primary ways:
- Congregations — The majority of our funding comes from congregational giving. Of tithes and offerings congregations receive, we ask they give 10 percent to the Common Ministry of the Church.
- Individuals — Certain areas of ministry, such as missionary support and the Global Compassion Fund, are funded in part by individuals generously contributing over and above their regular congregational giving.
- Gifts and bequests — Through planned giving, individuals and organizations are able to provide ongoing support for BIC ministries.
Doing Ministry Together
Though each congregation ministers in its unique context, our Common Ministry goes beyond what can be accomplished individually. As congregations give 10 cents of every dollar they receive, together we fund ministry across the country and around the world. These funds, combined with donations, gifts, and bequests from individuals and organizations, allow the BIC U.S. to finance areas of shared ministry:
- Reaching the unreached — We’re committed to sharing the gospel. With a thriving missionary-sending agency, we’re able to resource congregations and individuals interested in pursuing missions work. Learn more
- Multiplication — We desire to see the Church grow. By funding church plants and resourcing growth initiatives for existing churches, we make disciples in communities across the U.S.
- Pastoring pastors — We place a high value on caring for our pastors. Through the leadership of regional conference bishops, we’re able to provide emotional, spiritual, and practical support for our pastors and leaders.
- Ministry training — We desire to equip everyone with tools for fruitful ministry. Through our Directed Study Program, Core Courses, and Impact Seminars, we’re able to offer a broad variety of affordable and flexible educational opportunities. Read more
- Stewarding a common theology — We believe our understanding of God’s heart and character has much to offer a world in need. Part of our funding goes to stewarding our common theology and passing it to future generations. Learn more
- Sharing our stories — We desire to connect our global Church family with one another. Our giving allows us to communicate stories, address important topics, and create awareness for ministry throughout the BIC. Read more