Madison Street Church, founded out of an intentional Christian household in 1984, is a multi-generational Brethren in Christ faith community of about 30 family and individual units located in Riverside, California. With a population of 335K, and as the county seat of the most rapidly growing county in Southern California, Riverside is home to UC Riverside, California Baptist University and Riverside Community College. It is within an hour’s drive of Los Angeles, Orange County beaches, mountain resorts and desert cities. When the church community gathers, it is within an aesthetically simple yet beautiful multi-purpose meeting hall that can seat 100 comfortably and that shares the building with kitchenette, restrooms and smaller rooms for office or smaller groups. The campus includes park-like green space, parking lot, and two houses rented out to a non-affiliated preschool.
Madison Street Church journeys at a growing edge of Anabaptist churches who strive to keep Jesus at the center and who are deeply interested and invested in spiritual development and caring for those on the margins.
The Madison Street Pastoral Search Team is seeking a part-time lead pastor who:
- Is committed to Biblical preaching with attention given to sound exegesis and a deep appreciation for the context of Scripture, demonstrating an acuity for, and a keen understanding of ministry in a postmodern, post-Christian, Southern California urban context, while always keeping Jesus at the center of the church’s faith and practice.
- Because of a heart for evangelism and World missions, the candidate envisions, embodies, and catalyzes in others a strong commitment to Jesus’ way of love that leads to active, barrier-crossing, Spirit-empowered engagement with and humble service to meet real needs in our city and world.
- Has an ongoing commitment to personal discipleship that guides and develops his or her own psychological and spiritual health and strengthens their own ability to encourage and nurture spiritual health in others.
- Actively pursues inclusive multi-voiced worship, works to integrate the arts into worship as a means of communicating God’s presence, love, and truth, and is eager to participate collaboratively and with accountability within the church community to offer visionary spiritual leadership and promote group discernment.
- Is dedicated to culturally diverse, intergenerational ministry and easily builds caring, serving, welcoming and faith-encouraging relationships and partnerships with diverse individuals and groups within the church and the broader community.