The Board for World Missions has now become the Commission for World Missions. In keeping with the General Conference 2016 action in Article 5 of the amended bylaws, the commission will be tasked with advising and overseeing cross-cultural outreach of the BIC U.S. The commission will have a minimum of five members, nominated by the director of BIC U.S. World Missions — after consultation with Leadership Council and appointed by the General Conference Board. The national director of BIC U.S. will serve as an ex-officio, nonvoting member of this commission.
The duties of the commission are as follows:
- Recommend cross-cultural mission posts to Leadership Council for approval and approve strategic plans for these posts.
- Review and provide accountability for existing cross-cultural work.
- Assist the director of BIC U.S. World Missions to assess current missiological trends and opportunities.
- Assist the director of BIC U.S. World Missions and Leadership Council in encouraging the Church to support cross-cultural outreach.
- Make recommendations to the World Missions’ staff that will assist in recruiting, deploying, and supporting global and cross-cultural staff.
The members of the commission: Heather Beaty, Bruce Brubaker, Steve Ginder, Amy Harlacher, John Reitz, and ex-officio member Alan Robinson. The Commission for World Missions will host its first official meeting on January 10-11, 2017, at Christian Retreat Center (East Waterford, Pa.), where they will consider BIC U.S World Missions’ vision and strategies moving forward.