Harrisburg Brethren in Christ Church is seeking a full-time Pastor of Worship and Communication. As a member of the pastoral staff in a multi-ethnic urban church, s/he reports directly to the Senior Pastor and is responsible to plan and coordinate both the worship and communication opportunities for the congregation. The Pastor of Worship and Communication will work directly with worship and communication teams and volunteers as well as support the Senior Pastor, staff, and congregation in its communications and worship activities to fulfill the church’s vision: to be a thriving diverse urban church sharing Christ’s love and serving the needs of our local and global communities. Three primary duties are to lead the Sunday worship experience, lead the congregation’s written and visual communication, and to collaborate with the pastoral staff and volunteers.
Situated within the City of Harrisburg, we are an intentionally multi-ethnic and intergenerational congregation. We are seeking a vibrant team member who has a passion for worship ministries and for written and visual communication, and who has experience engaging cross-culturally. The ideal candidate will have experience leading worship ministries, prior administrative and communications experience in multi-ethnic settings, and preferably, a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
Our church is committed to congregational and community life that embraces the theology and Core Values of the Brethren in Christ, and we affirm our denomination’s long-standing biblical understanding of ministry and servant leadership. Visit our church’s website to learn more about our congregation and our staff: harrisburgbic.org.
Responsible for providing vision, planning and coordination of Worship Ministries and leadership for Church Communications. In cooperation with the Senior Pastor responsible for the overall vision implementation as well as life and growth of the congregation, including the spiritual health of people.
- Testifies to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and evidences God’s anointing for ministry.
- A stable, mature and growing Christian that models a life of growing character, integrity, maturity and servanthood.
- A servant-leader with evidenced commitment to multicultural, urban ministry. Cross- cultural experience preferred.
- Prior experience and/or proven gifts in worship, administration, and communication, especially in light of the mission and vision of the church.
- A commitment to teamwork. Ability to be flexible, creative, multi-task, and exhibit a good sense of humor.
- Proficient musical skill and lead voice. Moderate to advanced expertise in playing an instrument. Demonstrates proficiency in understanding of the elements of mix, dynamics, arrangement, roles of band members, working on harmonies, etc.
- Appreciation for many diverse gifts used in worship and ability to cultivate a culture where these gifts are used, for worship in the church.
- Technological competency, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Professional and G Suites Knowledge of Constant Contact; Canva; WordPress, Planning Center preferred. Audio visual expertise for production of in person meeting as well as online videos.
- A Bachelor’s Degree preferred with a commitment to continued education and licensing with the Brethren in Christ denomination.
- Willingness to affirm the vision and values of the Harrisburg Brethren in Christ Church.
Duties and Responsibilities: Leadership
- In cooperation with the Pastoral Staff and ministry teams, implement the congregational vision.
- Provide leadership in church life that is reflective of the rich ethnic and cultural diversity in our congregation.
- Oversee the budgetary management for Worship Ministries and Communication.
- Recruit and equip others to use their ministry gifts in the church in the areas of worship and communications.
- Provide for training and development of Worship Ministry Team and volunteers.
- Provide for training and development of Communication volunteers.
- If selected, serve as a voting member of Church Board.
- Responsible for leadership of the Worship Ministry Team (music, sound, art, etc. volunteers).
- Plan, communicate, and rehearse weekly with those involved in the Worship Service.
- In cooperation with Pastoral Staff and Worship Ministry Volunteers, craft a worship service that inspires and engages the congregation.
- Keep the master schedule for Church Worship (Preaching, Worship Leaders, Instrumentalists, Sound/Projection, Scripture Readings, and Specials).
- Work to incorporate the diversity of gifts to enhance the worship experience of the congregation.
- Cast a vision for including a wide range of multicultural artistic expressions in worship (E.g. Music, Dance, Video, Theater, etc.)
- Oversee Online Services (via livestreaming and the Church’s YouTube channel).
- Oversee Special Services over the course of the Church Calendar Year (Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, Easter, Advent, Christmas Eve, etc.)
- Develop, advance, and maintain the church’s communication strategies and guidelines in collaboration with the church board, ministry staff, and skilled volunteers.
- Coordinate staff and ministry team/committee requests for church communications. Provide oversight for bulletin and website. Produce weekly e-mail, social media content.
- Maintain an organizational calendar for communication needs.
- Ensure that organizational print documents and online content remains current.
- Coordinate the development of hard copy and digital communication design, content and materials as needed.
- Oversee website development and social media maintenance, and, construction, as needed.
- Coordinate the maintenance of the Information Center and other informational areas.
General Pastoral Duties
- Participate in the provision of pastoral care for Worship and Communication Team Leaders and Volunteers.
- Administer communion and officiate special events such as baptisms, parent/child dedications, weddings and funerals as called upon. (Following licensure and as available to do so).
- Fill in as requested by the Senior Pastor to assist other Pastors or programs.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings.
- Provide verbal and/or written reports to the Church Board quarterly, annually to Council.
- Meet with the Senior Pastor for regular planning and support sessions.
- Uphold the doctrinal position of the Brethren in Christ denomination.
- Represent the church at General Assembly and denominational meetings.
- Complete the process for licensure as outlined by the denomination.
The Pastor of Worship and Communication will be directly accountable to the Senior Pastor and will receive an annual performance review.
Schedule & Hours
Flexible schedule (50 hours/week)
How to Apply
Submit the following five items electronically (email@example.com), by mail, or in-person (2217 Derry St., Harrisburg, PA 17104).
- Completed HBIC Application for Employment form (available for download here under “Employment Opportunities” tab)
- Cover Letter, which includes a description of the following:
- Your faith journey (a brief version)
- Your ministry philosophy
- Your multi-cultural experience
- Resume, detailing your professional experience
- A completed BIC “This I Believe” Response Form (available for download here under “Employment Opportunities” tab)
- Contact information for four (4) references, including at least two professional references.
Interviews with select candidates will be scheduled and conducted until the position is filled.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of pre-employment screening: Child Abuse History Clearance, PA Criminal History Check, and an FBI Criminal Background Check.
To be determined.
Contact Hank Johnson, Sr. Pastor, at (717) 561-2170 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.